Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Forgive me Brandy for I have not blogged....

I lost a horse...a couple weeks ago, my old mare Tequila laid down and died. She was over 30 years old, and that is pretty old for a horse. Looked like she went peacefully, but not sure what it was. She was discovered by Steffin's seven year old daughter, Stevie, who came into the house and informed me that "that white horse was laying down and looks dead, she is not moving". Stevie wasn't too upset and when I confirmed that indeed, the horse looked dead to me, Stevie asked me if I were going to keep her teeth (!) Turns out her grandfather is a forest ranger up there in the Payson area, and he snags teeth trophies from dead game, but it was a good laugh anyway. I can see me out there, yanking out her teeth with a pliers...Yikes!

I told Steffin to start digging, he said he would dig the hole, if I would drag her into it (this is a small horse, only 13 hands but at least 800 lbs). I called 'animal pickup' and they referred me to a commodities company (did someone say glue?), who came the next day (she died on Sunday) with a huge truck and a winch to pick her up, for a mere $127. So, yes, the dead horse laid there for a day and a night, good thing it wasn't too hot here. I wasn't here when they came to get her, Steffin said, that even though I removed most of the front of the shed she had been under when she laid down, the winch pulling her stiff legged body out, got her sort of caught on the edge of the doorway and pulled at the wall a bit...kinda gory but kinda funny to think about. So, now I have two cute little ponies and I won't be selling the little marble dude. However, he will have to be gelded...guess I will let the vet do that !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home