Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Meteors, Psychos, and Alien Abductions

With much anticipation, I loaded up the hammock in the back of the pick up Sunday night, made my mug of chocolate truffle coffee, and headed down the road to take in the beauty of the Perseids in all their glory. Keegan, the Wonder Dog, went with me, although I don't think he was all that interested in the meteor shower and was simply thrilled in the tongue lolling way only dogs have to have company going down the road in the middle of the night.
I stretched out on the hammock and Keegan laid beside me in the back of the pick up bed and we anxiously awaited the arrival of streaking lights in the sky. And waited.....and waited....and waited...... After an hour and a half, the dog and I came home, with no meteor sightings to report. I have a very short attention span and all the universe had to give me in that hour and a half was ONE meteor and I would have stuck it out.
The only reason we stayed as long as we did was because I knew my beloved, dearheart Ying was in her part of the world looking up at the sky, too.
Making the stay on the pitch black deserted road even more difficult was the conversation I had on the phone with my 11 year old nephew earlier in the day. Joshua is very imaginative and creative and has also never been out of the center of a huge city in his life. Not even on a drive. So when I told him what my plans for the evening were (and at that point I intended to spend the whole night out on the dark lonely dirt road), he spun a tale of psychotic serial killers lurking on deserted roads and hacking unsuspecting star gazers to pieces after many days of torture. He felt sure I was totally insane to brave the wilds of south central Kansas's back dirt roads after dark. Even though I live on one. Apparently he thinks I do not go out of the house after dark.
Needless to say, my mind started wandering toward his tale and at one point I asked Keegan if he would rip the throat out of any serial killers that might appear. I'm pretty sure the face licking I got was a yes, so I pushed the worry out of my mind and went back to looking heavenward.
After staring at the blanket of stars in the sky for a while, I noticed some moving lights, some blinking lights, and some circling lights. All these things were planes, satellites, and other manmade not so phenomenal phenomena. Which, of course, led my mind directly to alien abductions. Have you ever noticed those only occur on deserted country roads? Why is no one ever abducted from Time Square?
Anyway.... although I've always actually liked the idea of being abducted (as long as they bring me back in time for Ying's visit), I was pretty sure the aliens would turn out to be psychotic serial killing aliens. After consulting with Keegan and deciding that he could take on your every day garden variety serial killer OR a group of tiny little green men but couldn't do much against psychotic little green men, we packed up and came home.
That was my meteor viewing experience. I hope the next one is more eventful. For seeing meteors, I mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home