Tuesday, October 12, 2004

1 More day and I will be old old old

Not that I really care, having more fun these than some others in my past. Life is mellow I am happy. April gave me a great present today she spent the whole afternoon with me, when she should have been studing and doing homework, traveling around to various errands with me. After errands we spent the rest of the afternoon shopping and of course by things for Emily. It is expensive but fun to have a new little one around and I want to buy her everything, but Christmas is coming and we have to start her on the road of good consumership young so she needs lots of toys. And its not like she already has stuff so everything I want to buy is fair game.

I wander around bookstores dreaming of a time when she won't just drool and soak the pages. I want to share everything with her the same as I wanted to share it all with my kids and I left so much out. So many things I wish we had done but life got in the way. Maybe grandparenthood is so cool because you have more time, generally less stress and you've already done the kid thing once so you have that mother voice down pat and of course more money. When they are your kids you are worried more about will you be able to continue feeding and clothing them, than will they get to smell roses or squeeze fresh oranges, wallow in giant mud puddles, sing nonsense through grocery stores and these are the important things in life, I tried to instill a sense of wonder and beauty in my children and for the most part suceeded. Of course I did all of the above mentioned things with them. And yes people do tend to look at me a little strangly when I am shopping. My children just think I am a little weird but they still smile and April has already informed me that I have to Sing One Tin Solder to Emily when she gets a little older because it was her favorite growing up and the message in the song meant something to her. Always a nice thing to hear. Dripping tears just thinking about it.

April is great to go shopping with more than willing just to wander, but Miss Emily was plumb tuckered out by the time we were done. I love this daughter of mine and am very proud of her. She is so organized and upright, honorable and honest to a fault with pretty much everybody including herself but yet self-delusion is also a practiced skill In other words she has become this great woman and a good friend.

Okay now I am getting totally maudlin.

When next we meet I will be standing on that mythical precipice called the hill getting ready to roll back down the other side. It has been a good walk up, If going down that hill is even half as memorable and happy as going up. I will die content.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home