Sunday, December 05, 2004

Art Open House - Corpus Christi City Stroll

I have been doing so much lazy blogging lately, the blog this button is just too easy., that I haven't said much of anything else. and I know how much all of you out there in blogland prefer real writing to links. Okay so maybe only the 10 or 12 people that actually read the blog care but I like my delusions of grandeur so I am going to keep them.

Went to the K-Space Open house this afternoon. I go to support the arts but they never seem to have much different and the walk up the four flights of stairs to get there is a pain. Food was better than the last show but I didn't eat much. The Photographer they currently have is probably my favorite of their current artists and some of the other pieces were nice if a little skimpy in quantity. The ambiance is still unairconditioned art loft, but I love the atmosphere or maybe it is just the smell of the paints. Who knows, I will keep going, Corpus has so little that is Cultural and cool one must attend everything in hopes of keeping what is here alive.

Before the show we participated in the 1st downtown stroll. They did have a live band on an empty overgrown building pad and some of the architecture is wonderful. Unfortunately when walking in downtown Corpus Christi the architecture is the primary thing to see. The only two shops that existed and were open on the 8 block tour we took were Betty's Trash to Treasures which is an antique store complete with tons of stuff and antique store prices. Lots of cool things but nothing I really needed as I am trying not to buy more stuff to just sit on shelves as I don't have room for the stuff I have already. Its in boxes and I haven't seen it in years.

The second store we found was very cool and looked like a new addition to the downtown scene. It is called El Zocalo and they specialize in Cultural Gifts and Decor. You would think that a city that is mostly Hispanic would have more of this type of stuff and it is a shame they don't. They had the coolest paintings. I don't know the painters name but the prices were great $60.00 for a small canvas and 80 for the larger ones. They were a metamorphic style which means that they were one picture when looked at from a distance but made up of smaller pictures where you got closer. For example at first glance it was a normal rendition of the Mona Lisa and then you discover that her neck is really a cat etc. My favorite was called the Ascent. It was a picture of Christ's face but when you looked closer his face was made of his followers and different pictures of his death. Very awesome painting and if Les had not just paid bills or I hadn't bought a clutch and new Health Insurance I would have bought one. Still want to go back and buy one or if there is someone out there who loves me you can buy me one. The 60.00 version is perfectly fine. Even though I didn't have much money I wanted to support him so I did buy two little cute things for Aprils stocking spending a whopping $4.00. I hope he does well and stays around long enough for me to get back to him. The address is 427 Peoples street and even if you aren't going to buy me the painting you should go there and look and shop and help keep him open because we need stores open and selling in Corpus. Stores besides Walmart, that is.

Of course the city could do a lot to help in this area. Like picking up the trash, Fixing the sidewalks and putting real plants in the giant planters instead of watching the weeds grow beer cans and cigarette butts. I wasn't joking about there being only 2 stores either. There were some clubs and restaurants like the Water Street Fish Market, Bourbon Street and the Executive Surf Club which all smelled heavenly, but they need more stores and most of the ancient beautiful old buildings need major reconstruction/ The city could help get these wonderful building renovated by offering a special loan program that didn't have to be repaid for several years. It would be a very worthy investment in the future of Corpus Christi because if something isn't done soon most of these architectural wonders will have to be torn down. More empty overgrown building pads does not make for a more inviting downtown district.

Tried to buy an Xmas tree today and went to Home Depot and the Aforementioned evil Walmart. Both had horrible trees and not many. Looked like they had been mauled in a riot. Particularly the one standing upside down in the middle of the aisle. Needless to say I did not buy one and now must continue the search. Did find perfect trees at Staples and McArdle. The nicest trees I have seen in years but they wanted 150-200 a piece for them. I would rather do Charlie Brown for 24.95

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home