Thursday, May 13, 2004

Hired Help

I read somewhere (about 10 years ago, so I'm sure this figure would be much higher in today's economy) that if the average "housewife" were paid for the things she does in the course of her day, she would earn $4-500.00 a week. This did not include anything involving raising children. Add in the cost of child care. Add in sick days, vacation, pension and medical benefits. Are we undervalued and underappreciated? You bet! If they had to pay us for what we do, our husband's would not only realize how "valuable" we are, they'd do a lot more for them selves! (Especially those husbands like mine - what his friends refer to as a "wedge-ass.")
I was telling B the other day a story about my beloved. We were driving down the road discussing some work that needed to be done on my car. I said, "Please call Mike (the mechanic) and make arrangements." He said, "It's not my car." I was shocked, as this was totally "un-Darrel-like" of him. I turned to him and said, "I don't think all those clothes I washed and ironed today and the dishes I washed were mine." He said, "You're right. I'll call Mike tomorrow." Of course, I too am a wuss at times. I haven't had a day off to speak of since the kids left and my house looks like WWIII was fought here. Had plans for yesterday, as it was the only day I was to have off this week. Really wanted to get things picked up, as although this disaster doesn't seem to affect Darrel at all, it is driving me crazy. Also planned to do the dreaded computer reformat that is a year past due. Unfortunately, Darrel had already made plans to take the day off and go load 600 plus feet of pipe at a friend's house and move it to our house. He, of course, asked for my help. I did say, "Sure. And you'll help me do dishes, laundry, and vacuum and iron when we're done, right?" Of course, I helped him and when we got done I did all that other stuff myself. I'm a bitch, I know, but B says it only means I'm evolving. I guess I have more evolution to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home