Saturday, October 09, 2004

Movie Review - Walking Tall

Yes it was filled with gratuitous violence, but damned if the Rock don't look good swinging a stick. We give the movie 3 out of 4 stars because while it was a complete ripp off from the original it held to the same ideals and I loved the big stick.

I like the Rock better when he is doing mythic fantasies like the Mummy or The Scorpian King. What I would really like to see him in is a new Sinbad movie. A real Sinbad movie, not a joke, and not animated. Like the ones I remember as a kid yet with modern special effects. It would be great. Dancing Skeletons, chatty parrot and all.

I love movies and TV. I was a regular TV Junkie growing up, the only thing that probably saved me was the fact that I read as many books as I watched TV Shows.
I remember being 5 or 6 sitting on the cold ugly linoleum floor watching TV. The TV in our house was against a wall that turned into a hallway leading to the bedrooms. This means my spot 3 feet in front of the TV was in everybody's way. I sat there for hours watching my favorite shows. Perry Mason, Adam 12, The Rifleman, Mission impossible and the Big Valley. Occasionally drifting into Hawaii Five O but not often. Perry was my hero. I admit I was a strange kid. Hated Sesame Street, Like Zoom. Loved HR Puffinstuf, The Banana Splits, Speed Racer, Kimba The White Lion(Which I only saw in San Francisco),fractured Fairy Tales, Underdog, Peabody aand the professor and of course the Phoenix Standard, The Wallace and Ladmo show. I admit to watching every episode of the Brady Bunch, The partridge family and Gilligans Island. Even met Bob Denver once, I liked him better as Gilligan.

My viewing habits haven't changed that much, Today it is CSI(yes all of them), Law and Order, Hawaii and my two favorite family shows which I think everybody with children should watch are 7th Heaven and The Gilmore Girls. I love daytime TV. In the last three years I have been able to watch complete series day after day in a record time. Just started on the gilmore girls almost done with 7th heaven, which is a great great family show. Series I have pretty much completed are ER, Dawsons Creek, The practice, Charmed and I am sure more that I don't remember.

The hubby is a radio man, but Give me mindless sitcoms over music anyday. I think of all the good things I got out of tv and then listen to all the whiners out there about what is on now. There are some good quality shows on and a little escape is never a bad thing. I admit there are some really crappy things like every reality show too. The remote is a powerful tool and one should always know how to turn the power off.

Of course when raising children it is always good to force them to live without comforts and mine survived for about 6 years with little or no tv at all. Didn't seem to bother them much and today they generally tune into educational tv. My son does watch some questionable programming but then he is 23 and a boy, What more needs to be said?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home