Monday, September 26, 2005

Stole this but I like it

Welcome to the land of the free. Free to come and go as you please. Free to
board up windows, free to ignore weather warnings, free to stand on the
side of the road out of town with your thumb out begging for a ride, free
to take your gasless car to a gas station and beg for gas, free to wait for
someone else to come save you , free to sit and pray to god for help.
What ever happened to "[insert your favorite deity here] helps those who
help themselves."

Here again, in times of strife, the question on everyone's mind becomes:
"Who is to blame?" Well I know the answer?. I blame NOAA for not calling
you personally to tell you a HUGE hurricane is coming to your house and to
leave the area. I blame the Red Cross for not setting up a five star resort
outside the predicted hurricane path 3 days before it hit and for not
shuttling you there on a charter bus. I blame the mayor for not sending a
limo to pick you up to get you out of town. I blame your mother for not
smacking you upside the head more often as a child to knock more sense into
you, and you for not smacking your stubborn mother when she said she wanted
to stay. I believe it's President [insert whomever you like here: Bush,
Clinton, Reagan, Lincoln, Washington? whatever.]'s fault for making you
live below sea level in a geographic region prone to hurricanes. It's his
fault you are poor, have 5 kids and no spouse, car, gas, food, water, scuba
gear or gold chains around your neck. It's his fault your welfare check
can't afford you an Escalade (or in this case a Zodiac with a 15HP Johnson
outboard to get you off your tin roof). [At least the numbskulls in the
tornado belt have the common sense to build tornado proof basements to hide
in. Oh wait? trailer parks? never mind.]

The people of this nation are becoming weaker and weaker- always looking
for someone else to blame for their own predicament. It is always someone
else's fault. I'm tired of people using socio-economic or "poor" as an
excuse. "I can't feed my family 'cause I'm poor. I can't get a job 'cause
I'm poor. I can't get an education 'cause I'm poor. I can't [whatever]
'cause I'm poor." I grew up poor . This country gave me the freedom to do
just that. I know that 99% of poor people are poor because they are just
plain lazy. "Poor" is a choice, not an excuse.

What has happened to this area and the people in it is a tragedy. We as a
country should do what is reasonable to help them. But before you go
placing blame and pointing fingers at anyone else, point the finger at
yourself (especially those of you waist deep in water) and ask yourself if
you personally did everything you could to prevent it.
AMEN!!"

I agree. We need to be more self reliant. There are too many people in the world, and not enough money or space. If something bad happens where I live - earthquake, eruption, hurricane, flood, whatever - it's every man for himself. It's me and my husband and kids left to fend for ourselves. So, we're preparing for that. If we suffer, it's nobodys fault but our own.

Think of the native American people... there must have been hurricanes and disasters that they endured before the white man came here and gave them more than they could handle. They watched and listened to the animals that gave them warnings that something bad was coming. They lived lightly with the earth and knew how to use the resources from their natural environment to survive. It wasn't until the Europeans came with their guns that the native americans had to face something they couldn't handle... because up to that point everything they faced had been natural and intelligent. ignorant white power-hungry people with guns and beer seeking money and power were more than the native americans could handle. and now those white people are killing each other.

We're not just weak now, we're stupid. We're ignorant of any natural resources which might be available to us. not that there are many natural resources left, because we've just about ruined it all. We don't trust ourselves, so we kill each other.

what can i do to feel better about it all? i have this feeling in my gut like i should seek out a native american tribe and support them. maybe live with them and learn some of their old ways. i don't feel like they'd want me around, though, because i'm a white girl.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mishy said...

good stuff...and the marianne letter too..

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home