Sunday, May 07, 2006

Speaking of dead people, Um I mean faeries, No wait I mean magic

Lydia once asked my husband if it was true that I could work magic and to his credit he has gained belief and faith after all these years and he answered yes. There was no real clarification just a simple yes. My mother says the first time she knew I was weird was when I was less than a year old and our cat had kittens and it used to bring them to me and set them under my feet so they would have something to rest on while I was sitting in my walker. Now I don't remember that particular episode but I do remember dressing them and them letting me keep them contrained to cradles and doll clothes for most of my toddler years. (Or this could be from the brain damage cause by the typical toddler smothering effect)

All my life I have felt power around and in everything I see or do. Forests, fields and bare earth project it more deeply and cement cities seem to cut it off completely which is of course why I have a tendency to nap in the backyard in the sun and love to swim in the ocean. The ocean is power barely harnessed, waiting to be set free.

Yes yes I do attribute this power to God but not probably in the sense most people mean. I believe we are all part of God, children of God etc. which is why I don't believe that Christ truly ranks over us. After all he didn't want to be worshiped he wanted us to believe and to love it seems to me that we have missed the whole point.

The first time I ever tried to use true magic powers conciously was in 6th grade and several weird things happened and some previous friends no longer talked to me after that year, which was my first and only venture to the dark side. The Dark side and formal magic are powerful but boring and require far more effort than I am willing to put forth.

Since that time I use the more practical magics and only white magics. I wish for something and it happens. I can tell people if they are likely to become pregnant and if so what sex. Little things. I have dreams of the future can feel ghosts or other spirits - little stuff that people look at you like you are a nuts for.

But the magic I practice most often is that of illusion and control. I try to make people feel better and to make them understand one another. Recently (and the reason for this post) is that I came to a passage in a book that described it better than I ever could. So I thought I would share it with you. The passage comes from Terry Prachett's Men at Arms book which is from the disc world series. A fictional world propelled through space onthe the back of 4 elephants standing on top of a giant turtle. I love these books and if anyone truly want to live in my bubble headed lala land they should read them.

The passage is as follows:

"He could lead armies, Angua thought. He really could. Some people have inspired whole countries to great deeds because of the power of their vision. And so could he. Not because he dreams about marching hordes or world domination, or an empire of a thousand years. Just because he thinks that everyone's really decent underneath and would get along just fine if only they made the effort, and he believes that so strongly that it burns like a flame which is bigger than he is. He's got the dream and we're all part of it, so that it shapes the world around him. And the weird thing is that no one wants to dissapoint him. It's be like kicking the biggest puppy in the universe. It's a kind of magic."

If you have any interest in reading this book or any of the other 30+ novels of discworld then just click the link below
Discworld by Terry Prachett

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home