Thursday, December 09, 2010

Lucky 13

As we all know, B liked to mess with us in ways that made us think. It seems she was doing plenty of that the first few days after she went on to Summerland ahead of us. I'm not sure exactly what this particular incident was supposed to make me think about, except for, "WTF?"
The night before I was to fly home from Corpus Christi, I went to the hotel business center to access my email and print out my return flight itinerary. I had, of course, lost the copy I went to CC with. In my in box was an email from the airlines with my boarding passes (for both my flight from Corpus to Houston and my connecting flight from Houston to OKC) for my return trip. I thought this rather odd, since boarding passes aren't issued until you check in, either at the airport or online and I had done neither. Other than the passing, "That's odd," I didn't think about it much and printed both boarding passes.
The next day, upon arriving at the airport, I discovered that I had actually printed the boarding pass for my flight from CC to Houston twice, and had not printed the one from Houston to Oklahoma City. Being able to envision every possible "worse case"
scenario, I ran to the auto check in machine and printed out another set of
boarding passes. I looked at my pass and it said I was in seat 13A from Houston to
OKC. I am well aware of the fact that there is no row 13 on airplanes, but again,
just blew it off.
When I boarded the flight, I sat in seat 14A. The one right after 12A. Yeah, I know
it's not 13A, but in some realities it must be the same thing, since it came right
after 12A????????
After getting my books, phone, gum and other essentials out of it, I placed my
grossly overstuffed "personal item" (a.k.a. tote bag Lydia had given me with
another tote I brought with me stuffed into it, with my oversized purse stuffed
into that)under the seat in front of me, taking off my jacket, and securing my
seat belt, I was good to go. Until the gal with the boarding pass that
assigned seat 14A to her showed up.
Mass chaos shortly ensued, when the two Japanese gentlemen who had boarding passes
for seat 13B and 13C showed up. The three of us stood together and listened to the
stewardess repeat, "This is impossible. We don't have a row 13. The airline
doesn't issue boarding passes for row 13, because we don't have a row 13."
I'm keeping my seat 13A boarding pass. It may be worth a lot of money someday......

4 Comments:

Blogger Ying said...

I remember on last Saturday you were telling me how number 3 and 13 were lucky numbers.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Yang said...

They are - they have great power. I'm just not sure exactly what was going on with the Universe. At first I thought maybe I was supposed to make friends with the two nice Japanese men who got relegated to row 19 in the back of the plane with me. But, since I don't speak Japanese and they didn't speak English, we didn't do more than nod and smile to each other. I'm sure I'll find out what it was all about someday. Maybe it was just a chance to laugh at myself.

7:15 AM  
Blogger babydragon said...

It made dad smile. So I think it was worth a lot if you ask me =)

10:49 PM  
Blogger Yang said...

Ah! Well, then, we have discovered the purpose of that little wrinkle in the space/time continuum. Glad to hear it. And tell him not to worry - I'm sure I'll be made an idiot of for his amusement many more times to come. After all, why would I stop now?

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home