Tuesday, April 13, 2004

the infamous pole-dancer story

Okay, but it's a little embarrassing, and I already typed it once and lost it (first time i've done that). So, John is the main guy I talked to. He invited me to lunch, which I attended, and he had another guy along, Byron. John did most of the talking, had a printout of photographs of a woman doing a pole dance, quite a few shots, in 360 degrees, perfect for what I needed to create the piece. We discussed his requirements...and I told him for $200 that it would not be detailed...I first quoted $300 and he instantly wanted the 'deal' for 'less detail'. When I delivered the statue, John was out of town and Byron was receiving it...John told me I didn't have to mount it to the pole. So, I brought the apparatus in the photo, to show him how I was thinking they could mount it. I could tell, as I set it up on his desk, that he didn't like it...and he was uncomfortable. He ushered me to a seat in this open-air office, a tee-shirt art company with a half dozen employees working at various computers. He left the office area and obviously was trying to reach John...on the phone...while I sat in the office waiting, for about forty five minutes, minimum. Finally, he came out with a cell phone and it was John saying that Byron was telling him that the statue was nothing like we'd talked about...something about the arms being out of proportion and the feet...I told him that I didn't know what to say, and that I did follow his requirements...and explained my idea for mounting on a pole, and he said he would have Byron pay me 20 bucks for driving it out there (I was charging them $14), and I should take the statue home...which I did... and he would call me when he gets back to town... But...I will NOT deliver it again!
By the way, thanks Lydia and the woman in the photograph John brought was built a lot like me...so most sculptors tend to do self portraits...he specified silicone, big boobs...which I did...and the focus on them...that is nothing like me! Anyway, that's the pole dancer story, and I still have her. Will let you know if/when he calls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home