Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Cats and Dogs

It was nice to read about Keegan and the cat. Not sure if I spelled his name right I have a lousy memory. It was very sweet, I meant to wish him well on his recovery but I have been way to self absorbed and not giving each blog or dog proper attention. Keegan is fortunate to be so loved and cared for. There are so many human beings in the world that do not live as well as the animals in our lives. This is sad but a true and unfortunate fact of life. I never was much of a Dog person, it may have been the way that they smelled (like dogs). No way to describe the scent that even the cleanest most well groomed pooches posses. That doggy odor. My family had dogs. I never wanted one myself. While we were working on the home that we live in (a major fixer upper). I noticed a large red furry pup roaming the streets. I found his home and they said that they just let him run loose and that they did not want him. So I took him home and having no fence and not wanting to tie him to a tree I brought him inside. After about six weeks I realized that I was not capable of house training him and my son was not getting over his unreasonable fear of the animal so I decided that we would keep him on a chain in the back yard for a month or so until the house was finished or until I could find Truck a good home. Well the month was more like three months and boy was he happy when he finally was able to run free in a giant back yard. However Blaze would not so much as go near the back door. We had a repair person who had done work for us before over to fix a plumbing problem and he fell in love with Truck and said that he would love a dog like him. I said take him and love him he is yours! I never really bonded with Truck and I thought that this pretty much proved that I was not a dog person. Kelly and his father kept saying get a little dog for the kids, Blaze will like a little dog. I said no way! No dogs! Never! Then a terrible thing happened. My cats came up missing and I did everything short of hiring a private investigator to find them. I considered the PI but then thought that anyone I called would think that I was insane and would not take any of my theories seriously which if you are interested Melisa is that some deranged person probably one of my neighbors did something with them. After searching for them for a month nearly each day at Animal control I wondered into the PALS shelter which is next door. Hoping maybe they might be there. The girl said we have several wonderful cats here would you like to take one home. "No", I said. I want to find my cats. Then I don't know why I did this but I asked if they had a little dog that was not a puppy that was house
trained and liked kids. They said that they had two dogs like that. They had just got one of them today. He was a dachshund, they rescued from animal control. Ick, Weenie Dog, annoying little yapper I thought to myself but I went to look at him just to be polite. They apologized for his condition as they had just got him. He was ugly, he was scratched and too thin and was covered with ticks. He looked up at me with those big brown eyes and coughed. He was definitely a Nolen. His name is Rebel now and he sleeps under the covers and hogs the bed and goes with me wherever I can take him. He is our protector if anyone ever tries to attack my ankles I'm safe. Blaze is not afraid of him but does not care for him either. He doesn't like the way he smells. Blaze really is not a dog person. We brought Rebel with us when we picked out Iris a Calico cat our newest family member. They get along famously, while Rebel is generally annoying towards her (that's how he expresses his affection)Iris tolerates him well. She has never hissed at him once which I find odd. She also doesn't complain when the kid's squeeze her. Yes, Melisa my lovely girl and you share the same birthday and in a few years she may even be as tall as you. Looking forward to seeing you people at the Wings place. Interesting fact: Rum and Diet coke = 0 net effective carbs. This is a good thing as I am currently under going a butt reduction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home