Sunday, July 25, 2004

Twisted Tortured Artist (but not starving) And Animal Lover

I am so thankful that my family may never have to rely on my art to pay the bills because although art has a lot to do with perspective I must say that at this point in time I really do suck. I played with the twisted brush program (Brandy made it look so easy) and other than a few odd pieces that may be appreciated truly only by those under the influences of mind altering substances .Nothing substantial or even whimsical was created by Lydia. We went to PALS (Pets and Life Shelter) where Blaze chose an energetic little male cat. He's Black and gorgeous! I tried to persuade him to chose an adult female that reminded me so much of my Moo-Moo kitty that I choked back the tears and it felt even worse when the kennel attendant told me that she had been there an awful long time and that I was welcome to take her free of charge. I wanted to so badly and silly as this may sound she has been in my thought s almost continuously. I even hatched a plan to convince my 21 year old nephew that he needed a cat and of course I was going to offer him a lifetime supply of kitty litter, cat food, and vaccinations to take her in. I was talking to Lindy about this and she came up with an even better one. She told her father Charles that there was a cat at the shelter that reminded her so much of Moo-Moo and that she had to live in a cage and that she was a sweet wonderful cat and could she please please have her. So if Moo-Moo II is still there on Thursday she will be Lindy's cat. I have my doubts about the ex's parenting skills but feel that he is at least capable of rearing a cat. If she has already been adopted than we will all be really happy because that is all we really wanted for her. My  Moo-Moo cat was the only animal that ever inspired me to write a poem in her honor. I called it Sandpaper Tongue. I considered bringing her home and declaring that she was indeed my Moo, but Kelly isn't that slow. I could have acted shocked if he asserted that this was not my long lost cat. The kids would have known better but I'm sure they would have played along without even being prompted as they are cat lovers also. I want to do something cool for PALS like advertise for them or pay for the adoption of one animal each month. I really want to volunteer there and I am welcome to but I need to figure out just how I will do it. Maybe I can organize a pet adoption day at the mall. Maybe I should just deliver cat food and litter when ever I can. Rebel Weenie whose devotion is almost an annoyance came from PALS.  I feel that I am some how indebted to them. Maybe I should stand outside animal control with a sign that reads. Loving animals are destroyed here each day because people refuse to spay and neuter their pets, but then I would have to hold up my sign for everything and it is hot outside and I am lazy. I am lazy and sickly content to complain and take no action. Our pastor intern said something to the effect that we are an activist church. Maybe some times we put our money where our mouth is but this is a far cry from activism. We perhaps have one activist in our entire congregation. I was about to go on about him but always easily distracted I have changed my train of thought.
FROGS! I have just witnessed what is probably in at least the top twenty
animal\ nature experiences that I have ever had. First a little background info as I may never have mentioned this before. We have so many frogs and toads around here that it is almost unreal. I find a frog on my car nearly every day. Sometimes I do not notice the little frog on my truck until I'm at HEB or somewhere else and I then have to rescue the little hitchhiker all the while marveling at how Kermit managed to stay attached during the ride. The difference between frogs and toads. I recently asked the Brandy this question and I think that she said that Frogs are the ones that look neater when they are squished on the road. I think that is what she said anyway. While  I do not know the exact clinical or technical differences these are my observations. Toads are fat and bumpy, they have short legs, cannot hop very far, move sort of slow, they all with the exception of size look about the same (at least the type around here do) The smallest ones are kind of cute but the big ones gross me out. I've seen then nearly as big as a softball! They do not seem to have any fear of me. Toads also have a sense of humor, there is this one giant toad for instance that has a well developed sense of humor. He somehow figured out that he really grosses me out but that I am basically a good person and I would never let any harm come to him. So Mr. Big Ugly Toad waits until I come home from some errand in the evening and I am not paying attention and jumps on my foot right as I am about to open the door. Then he laughs as I shake him off my foot. If  I do happen to be paying attention then he just tries to get in the door while it is open. More than once I have had to coax him into a plastic bowl with a serving spoon. I use to pick him up with my bare hands but he would pee on me every time and he looked like he was enjoying it.  Now the resident Frogs around here they are something else. I have yet to see one bigger than a quarter. They are lithe and long legged and they can hop quite fast and far in comparison to their small size. The frogs that I've seen in my yard vary greatly in vivid lovely colors ranging from lime green, dark green, flesh tone, brown. They are shiny and have beautiful eyes. The most important thing that I have observed that distinguishes the toads and frogs around here is the fact that my frogs have these little suction cup thingy's on the bottom of their feet and can climb like spiderman. I am always noticing frogs stuck to windows and occasionally on the windshield of my truck. Now that I've lectured you readers of the blog with my vast toad and froggy knowledge I will bless you with my ultimately cool nature experience. I was standing in the kitchen doing the dishes when I noticed a half dozen frogs perched on the glass of the my kitchen window, and tonight they revealed to me for the first time why they like to hang out on the glass so much. They sat still on the window waiting for the various flying bugs that were attracted to the kitchen light! The bugs would land and it was a joy to watch these little creature devour their meal. It was so much fun to watch them chase the little nats and moths. It was pretty darn cool. I guess you had to be there. Tune in next time for Tadpole mystery. Where I will attempt to answer the question. If we have so many damn frogs where are the tadpoles being born? I really want to know this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home