Friday, July 23, 2004

With a little help from my friends...

Okay - I can honestly say the blog has been a God send. After reading comments from Lydia and Patti, I sat down and put a plug in the emotional, gut-reaction of, "No! No! I won't do this!" and examined it (and myself) a bit more closely.
Lydia, you hit the nail on the head. I am not physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually able to deal with this child in the way he needs and deserves. Is this a cop our or excuse to soothe my guilt over the way I feel? Possibly. Is it also the truth? Absolutely.
You are absolutely right, Lydia - Darrel really doesn't want to do this either. So, I sat down with him a little while ago and said I don't think the solution is yanking him from his home, mother, and brothers. At least not at this point. It will only feel like another rejection and abandonment to him. It's a last resort. I will spend Monday on the phone contacting child counseling services, parenting classes, support groups, etc. I will gather all the information needed and present it to his mother. We will become more involved in this boy's life (especially Darrel, as the boy adores Darrel and is bad need of a positive male role model), but ultimately the responsibility to do what is necessary is the mother's. Darrel agreed on all counts. I will try not to bore you all to death, but will keep you posted. I can't tell you how much it is all appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home