Wednesday, December 22, 2004

It is a crazy time of year. I am Jewish, raised with Hanukah, but my three siblings and I, and even our dad after he and mom divorced, all married outside the faith...and even Mom had a Christmas tree and all the trimmings during the past 20 years. It was kind of weird, for me, to come to the reality of the new customs and traditions, but I love celebration and ritual, and my whole family had menorahs *and* Christmas trees, so I just had fun with it. I love a feast, and giving gifts, but of course all the commerciality of it is nauseating. So, last year, with the new family situation, I was generous and gave up Christmas completely (what do I care?), trading it off for another day so they could go spend time with Gary's family. This year, it falls on 'my weekend' again, and I am trading it off again, so they can go see the family with all the new generation of kids coming along....they like that, and I have no family here. I'm inviting the four kids over for a ham dinner sometime this week or next...and we will exchange gifts. I always give the kids fifty bucks, and stuff a big stocking for them, that's my personal ritual...I'll let Gary do the massive gift buying spree...I did that for 20 years! And I have money for them from my dad, so they make a good haul. They'll come see me to pick up their money, of course :-/

In perspective though, wow, it sure is quiet and peaceful around here, and I have had time to really continue cleaning and organizing...I might even get my filing in order soon...yikes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home