Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Nurses ( Do not read if you are allergic to corn or cheese)

If I have written about this already please forgive me, I thought of some special people today and thought I would pay homage to them. I was 11 years old and playing handball by myself on the black top during recess. This was back in those days when they actually had recess and PE. I took a dive for the ball and ended having to pick the pebbles from the black top out of my face. I went to the nurses office and she said, "looks like someone is going to need some stitches." So she called my mom who yes didn't want me to have a scar on my face but no, could not take the time from work to help me. She managed to convince the school that I was completely capable of walking to the doctors office by myself. The nurse was hesitant but in the end they sent me on my way. It was maybe 1/2 a mile away if that. Perhaps just three or four blocks. I remember feeling incredibly lonely while I was walking there, the gauze on my face had loosened and it had begun to bleed a little bit. When I got there I was totally terrified and (I really wish I knew her name) the nurse was lovely. She held my hand and stroked my hair the entire time. She tried to distract me by talking to me. She was a very very good nurse and in that moment I loved her more than anyone else in the entire world. They had a different nurse walk me back to school, she held my hand the entire way. There is a tiny little white line underneath my chin and it reminds me angels really walk the earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home