Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Screaming babies and HIgh Carb Diets

I really respect Lydia and all those other Atkins Fiends out there capable of existing on a low carb diet. Everytime I think of a low carb diet my brain immediately screams make bread, make cookies and I always do. Spent 3 hours at Walmart Sunday. Les said he was beginning to wonder If I had left him for Walmart. I assured him that could not happen, but I do admit to using the time at Walmart as some low quality alone time. Pretty sad thought isn't it, but it was nice to meander through the whole store.

Walmart was not too bad that day, nobody was being incredibly rude and while there were far more loose children running around than I think is healthy there were fewer than normal. When did it become okay for children to run around stores without their parents. My children were never allowed to do such and it didn't matter that they were 12 etc... you stayed with me or you got nothing nothing nothing. And if you pissed me off in public there was always hell to pay when they got home. I don't understand the screaming and crying and sheer effontry of children now a days, not to mention the whining done by the parents. I am only 39 its not like I hail from the good old days but manners are something that should be taught from birth and they are not a negotiable item.

Les has been doing most of the shopping lately and while he does take requests I am more of a spur of the moment shopper. I like to see what I am buying, he likes to get out as quickly as possible. Needless to say it is much cheaper when he goes than I. I spent lots of money on additions to meals that I think are requirements. Expensive cheese, Fresh Spinach dip and bread all sorts of wonderful bread, Croissants and french rolls, flats breads and tortillas. OOOO nummy. I also purchased other things the hubby doesn't think about, Fruit and a bottle of green olives for when I am thinking of Dona and craving salt. A lg container of heavy whipping cream because you never know when you might need cream. On the way home
I stopped at the Texas Roadhouse because they have the most awesome rolls and bought a dozen right out of the oven. Like I needed more carbs.

To top it all off even though I bought all that good food I actually have no intention of cooking this week because I have good leftover chinese and spicy chicken and hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes. So its not like I needed the food. Today's lunch with Spicy chicken on top of Spinach Dip a huge chuck of fontina cheese and all of it nestled in a tiny Roadhouse roll made all the moeny worth it, that is not cooking that is just lunch. Damn shame I forgot the artichoke hearts, will have to put that on Les' list.

My problem is I live off cravings. Normal people only get this bad when they are pregnant but not me. And the cravings are very specific. Two weeks ago I spent 4 days eating nothing but Raisin Bran, Which Dona fondly refers to as Tick Bran and which Les won't eat at all. I try not to cook big meals because Les whines that I am trying to kill him. I make him fill his own plate and he can always put some back if he gets full, but no, he has to fill the plate eat the whole damn thing and then its my fault because I cooked it. I suppose there is a compliment in that somewhere.

So nowadays rather than fix meals I know he will love I just feed my cravings. Some days he still complains, Somedays he won't go near the food I cook and tends to eat much leaner on his own or not at all except for his Ice cream for dinner. Just to give you a rough idea. My late night snack yesterday was yet another of those rolls covered in cinnamon honey butter with extra honey. Chunks of Cantelope and Honey Do a few grapes followed by a cleansing course of Green Olives with pimento of course.
The good news is that by following this diet I have lost 24 pounds in the last year. Okay the diet and the half hour of dancing in front of the tv every morning to music videos made by children half my age. Some of them suprisingly good, now if I could just remember their names. Always was a bad groupie.

All you women who plan to live with us on the farm be warned. I cook all the time all sort of strange delicasies and general harty fare. I won't force you to eat but if the past holds true you won't have much choice. I make the type of food that calls to you from the kitchen with the subtle nuance of Eat Me, Eat Me Now.

I do not ever do dishes, but the kitchen must be clean in order for me to cook. YOu all get to work that one out

On that note I think I am going to make homemade Scottish Shortbread (With real butter and Cream of course for the auction in two weeks. Cut it into cute little diamond wedges wedges rolled so many times that it flakes off butter rich pieces as you try to pick it up and maybe they shoudl be dipped in Chocolate, Milk and white. or Maybe some more homemade carmel. Finally finished off the last jar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home