Thursday, October 28, 2004

Firefox & Thunderbird. All Hail The Return of A Real Browser

Anybody who truly knows me, knows that I do not like Internet Explorer, It is slow, riddled with security problems and the number one product that idiot hackers write viruses for. It is also the most suseptable to pop ups, ad-ware and spyware. Because of these many problems and because I hate bundled software which you can not remove, I have always been a big Netscape fan. This worked out great until a few years ago when AOL bought out Netscape. Suddenly Netscape became a large bloated piece of software with way too much junk and began having the same problems that explorer was experiencing. With every update the prgram became larger and fluffier.

Well if you are tired of fluff and want to get back to the basics of a lean mean browsing machine, now is the time. Firefox is now available. Firefox is an open source browser written by the Mozilla team and on the Mozilla platform which is also the heart of the Netscape platform. In other words Netscape without the fluff. It contains excellent security features, the code is nice and tight instead of bloated with things you will never use and it works. At the moment it is also less suseptable to viruses, popups and spyware. Thunderbird is the mail client you use with Firefox. Both are free open source downloads.

For the last Month my netscape has been degrading rapidly sucking resources and dying on a regular basis. I have been looking for a way to migrate all my Netscape info so that I can remove it from my system. Firefox worked beautifully, inn fact I had less trouble migrating Netscape to Firefox than I have had while Updating Netscape versions during the last three years.

All I did in fact was download the programs and install them. Everything down to the very last email I had received, every folder, bookmarks and setting was transfered automatically. Have only rarely seen this smooth a transfer in my life and it certainly hasn't been on the recent Netscape Builds.

So far I have only found 1 bug - In both Firefox and Thunderbird I requested that no desktop Icon be made during installation and both programs made one anyway but that is an easy delete and most people want it on the desktop so this is not a real issue. The other item I miss is the Form Fill out but I can reinstall Roboform to take care of this. Remember do not ever install Gator on your machine. Always use Robofill for forms and password saving. Gator is very evil spyware.

So if you are smart, want to surf more securely and wish to support something besides the Windows takeover of the world download Firefox Now.
Get Firefox!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home