Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I care infinitely what Kelly thinks feels etc. Can't say I feel that way on everyone's account though. Yes, I will try to drag  my dearest one into the counselors office. I will have to find a new counselor because Kelly is not comfortable with the one that I am familiar with. I like her though . So glad that B got to meet Erin. She is an Angel and I adore her. I do not have many friends but I count her among the few. I have learned a lot from Erin and I don't think that she will ever even know this. I would love it if she would write with us. I would like to get to know her better. I think that perhaps the readers of this blog may know me as well as anybody. I am as honest with myself as I can be when I write. Even when it is not all roses. I am not an enigma.
  I bet that Erin Hanna does not know that she in an round about way changed my life and helped me to be grateful and to be less self centered. Three years ago my little Blaze could hardly put two words together. The audiologist said that he most likely had some sort of nerve damage and that he needed extensive speech therapy. The school district evaluated  him and said that due to his speech delay and articulation problems that Blaze was eligible to go to Headstart. Blaze began Headstart and soon after we realized he had been misdiagnosed and a simple surgery that placed plastic tubes in his ears seemingly instantaneously corrected his hearing deficit. Speech therapy and Headstart worked wonders for the boy and he took off like a rocket. For this I was immensely grateful, I spent time volunteering for Headstart painting and doing crafts with the kids at Washington Headstart. (This is another story altogether). The  following year Blaze went left Headstart to go to Pre-K but I felt a need to stay involved with that particular center. The beginning of the next year I asked the teachers at Washington if all the children at the center were properly provided for as Washington Headstart is located within a very impoverished drug infested area. Ms. Rios mentioned a family without mentioning a name whose home had recently burnt down and that were in need of assistance. I left my phone number for the family. I asked Ms. Rios if she would give them my number and she said yes. I asked if she had at a later date and she said yes. I never received a call and I thought it was just as well I suppose. It was near Christmas time when Ms. Rios called me to seek help for this family. It seems that their six week old infant girl had died. She suffocated while sleeping on a couch with two older siblings. I took this news very hard and I called my church to see what help we could offer them. I was feeling an overwhelming sense of guilt for what I do not know. Perhaps for my inactions even if this did not seem logical this is how I felt at the time. I felt that I could have helped this family and some how this precious child would still be alive. This is the first time that I ever talked to Erin. So from that point on I try to do things a little differently in my life. I try to be a little more active and less passive. I have learned a lot from experience and from listening to Erin. I am thankful for Kelly as he is very compassionate and generous to others. So thank you God for my Blazy and his amazing intellect and for Kelly and his willingness to share what we have with others and for Erin who is a wise everyday Angel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home