Sunday, January 17, 2010

do you ever wonder

DO you ever wonder what your family going home after your death, wandering through your house and your things what they will fasten onto that reminds them of you. Will it be something you truly loved and cared for or something that they have attached to their memory of you that is truly of little importance to you.

What will you be remembered by what trinkets if any will be around in the possession of your family in a 100 years. DO you have things of your ancestors even little things. I have some pictures but i don't believe anything dates back farther than my great grandparents a Dresden Doll and a long plaid flannel night shirt that belonged to my great grandfather. The doll holds significance she had a whole collection sat in a built in glass cabinet in her kitchen the same kitchen in which we received treat upon every arrival and where we listened to grandpa Bill talk to his mina bird. The pajamas hold no significance other than that they are comfy and among the last things worn by him and strangely enough the only thing really offered and I think it my grandmother that gave it to me. I still have some of her pajamas too, along with dolls she was a true lover of dolls. There is a silver bell collection of the 12 days of Christmas, jewelry her red bedside lamps and her Bread machine, there are other knick knacks. My husband has silverware. Most notable the spoon he ate rootbeer floats out of as a kid, there are other things who genesis is not know to me I know there are pictures out there in the hands of family members but not in mine.

Mine is a transient family many husband and wives new beginnings on a regular basis children living far away from their parents with ties stretched and romanticized. all of us stuck in the roles of our previous fleeting contacts. decades from who we are now. How we remember and fall into previous rolls so easily is beyond me but then i have trouble remembering breakfast as the days blur. Its no wonder our history does not linger further back into time but I would like for that to change. In a digital world we can keep a small part of ourselves alive. This blog will continue long after I do its words etched upon back up cds the story of our lives open for our descendants to see to read to understand a tiny piece of who we are and hopefully to add stories all their own.

So what would it be, what would people living with only your memory choose to take away as they let you go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home