Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Mental Disorders

Monday afternoon I learned that a friend of mine committed suicide. I was and still am in complete shock. My friend was only 27 years old and seemed to truly have a zest for life. He was the life of the party. Always upbeat. Always welcoming. Which is why this truly came as a shock to me. I learned about a month ago that he suffered from bi-polar which I honestly would have never guessed from hanging out with him.  


Usually when someone you know dies and you feel sadness. And the sadness is completely selfish. You are sad because YOU will miss them. YOU still want them around. But for the first time ever, I was sad because I thought of how desperate he must have felt in order to take his own life. This is what makes me sad. That he felt so alone, that in his mind he thought the best choice was to just end it all. I am sad that he most likely had these helpless thoughts and that he didn't think their was any way out. 

This also makes me sad for all of the millions of people out their that suffer from any sort of mental disorder whether it be, anxiety, bi-polar, depression, etc. I feel that mental illness still has such a huge stigma attached to it and this makes me sad. I am sad that I have heard people refer to people with mental disorders as "weird" or "crazy". People with mental disorders did not ask to have a chemical imbalance/defect in the brain. And the last thing they need is judgement put on them. I am so saddened by the fact that society encourages people to be ashamed of any flaws. And to be especially ashamed of a mental disorder. These people need help and support. 

I just don't understand how we live in the 21st century and sex tapes are acceptable to release in the public but mental disorders are still so hush hush and secretive. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home